Blog #1 What even is the American Dream?

The American Dream is always something I remember learning about in boring history classes where teachers would rant about the writers of the Constitution and other American history like that. It seemed like the American Dream was always something that some men back in the 1700’s decided for an entire country. Now that I’m older, I feel like I understand more about what it truly means, which is in fact that it means different things to different people. In The New York Times article "American Dreams" from late last year, a man goes around and interviews people on what exactly those two words mean to them.

 To me, the American dream means so many different things. Really, it’s just an idea. It’s not concrete. It’s not determined by any one person. It’s a set of ideals that people hold about what they expect from their country. If you go to someone in New York and ask them about what the American Dream means to them, it will be extremely different than what you hear from someone in California.

The American dream to me is the idea that we all have the opportunity to grow and prosper in our country due to opportunities and experiences available to us. I’m not saying that’s true, or that its equal for everyone because we all know that sadly it isn’t, but that’s what the word means to me. It means that we’re all here because we have a dream to live somewhere where we have access to basic necessities, education, safety, and other things that all human beings should have in their lives.

I’m Brazilian, but I was born in the United States because my parents decided to move from Brazil and raise their children in the country that promised so many good things to so many people. It wasn’t an easy transition, and they had basically nothing when they got here, but to me the American Dream they held was similar to the one I believe in. They believed in making a change and doing something better for future generations. I believe in an America whose dream is to provide for all of its citizens, and to have a government that truly supports everyone and acts out of acceptance rather than hate and bigotry.

Because of my background, I also truly believe that the American Dream is open to all people. There is no specific race, ethnicity, or nationality that shouldn’t be allowed to experience what it means to be in the United States. I feel that all people should have access to the idea of the American Dream and that they should be able to pursue it freely given they are willing to work hard.

I also love that the American Dream means different things to everyone. I think it proves that even though we all have different ideals and goals for our own future and the future of our country, we are still trying to work towards a country that works together. I think that’s another important party about the American Dream: community. Working with other people, learning about their lives, and simply caring about what is going on to other groups of people is so important to the future of our country. People would learn how to get along if they understood that there’s a difference between respecting someone’s opinions and agreeing with someone’s opinions. You don’t need to agree with someone, but you do owe him or her basic respect.


All in all, that’s what the American Dream means to me. It means equality, opportunity, and community in our country. It means to move forward as a whole.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your viewpoint on the American Dream and completely agree with you on your belief that the American Dream does not simply come from just one person. I too believe that in order for it to be truly the American Dream that is must come from different people. I also like how you stated that the American Dream is based around the idea of growing and giving people the opportunity to achieve their dreams here, no matter where they came from. Such as your parents have influenced your viewpoint on the American Dream mine have too. I too share the opinion that the American Dream should be open to all people, not just those born here and those with money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you note that the American Dream changes from person to person and situation to situation. Additionally, I agree with the interpretation that the American Dream largely consists of opportunities available. These opportunities -if not diminished - allow for people to achieve what they want. Further, I like how you note that community is a part of the American Dream. Without community and acceptance individuals will not be able to achieve what they truly want to. As you conveyed, the American Dream largely depends on surroundings and situation. Lastly, I agree that everyone should be able to experience the American Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you said that the " American dream" was more of an Idea and not concrete. I completely agree with this statement. I believe politicians these days are trying to force their ideas of it on to us as if it was a fact. I think the more and more we but into this, the further me stray from the ideal. I believe it is called the "American Dream" because we have the freedom as individuals what we think it is. We should all be allowed to fight for our personal dreams , as well as be given the tools to help us get there. I also really enjoyed the part about community because I think as a whole that is part of a lot of peoples dream. Having a sense of togetherness should always be something one looks for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very interesting how your view of the American Dream is similar to both your parents and the couple in the article. That we should seek improvement. It seems like your definition is the idea that we can continually improve our lives as individuals, for the future, and for our country. I can also appreciate how you notice that its different for all, especially when it comes to backgrounds and identities, like how you said a New Yorker and a Californian would have different ideas, and how the set-backs some Americans face alter their aspirations as opposed to some who are better off. Yet the overall idea of your dream is that everyone should be thinking forward, no matter what one's definition of the American Dream is or one's status in life. I believe that that is what rings truest in most, if not all, American dreams, and you articulate this very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the points you made. I enjoyed how you brought up the fact that not only Americans, but people from other cultures and countries share the same ideal, and migrate for that sole reason. The American dream is so consistent yet different that even you share similar ideals to your parents. Although many people believe that the American dream is "dead" and cannot be achieved, you challenged the argument by proving its everlasting effect. For humans for thousands of years seemed better lives based upon our own capabilities.This itself proves the long-lasting effect of the American dream. Since their is no sole American dream, you included your own American dream in a great manner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I love your description of how American Dream has morphed based on your different experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment